Friday, June 1, 2012

National Doughnut Day and a Big Thank You to C. Jane




Today is National Doughnut Day.  I'm all over a day that makes it acceptable to break your diet and eat deep fried dough covered in sugar.  This day is celebrated each year on the first Friday of June.  I thought it was just a clever marketing ploy thought up by Dunkin Donuts to get people in to buy more Mocha Latte Caramel Yum (not a real drink) or in my case Iced Tea sweetened with granulated sugar (not liquid sugar) and no lemon.  When I heard a  free doughnut comes with every beverage bought, I knew I needed to make a trip out to D&D, especially since any sized Iced Tea only costs .99.

To my surprise, I found out that  National Doughnut Day is a real  "holiday."  According to Wikipedia: "National Doughnut Day started in 1938 as a fund raiser for Chicago's The Salvation Army. Their goal was to help the needy during the Great Depression, and to honor The Salvation Army "Lassies" of World War I, who served doughnuts to soldiers."

Now with all this excitement over donuts, you'd think it was my favorite food.  Actually, I am pretty picky and usually just stick with a plain cake donut or a French Cruller.  A few weeks ago, I had a bite of an Undercover Black Cocoa Donut (stolen from Pierre) and thought it was pretty good.  I tried one again today and I think it is my new favorite.  It is filled with brownie batter creme.  Yes, you heard me right,  brownie batter.

To add to the excitement today, I won a dress from eShakti from one of my favorite bloggers C. Jane.  A few weeks ago C. Jane announced on her Facebook page that she was authorized by eShakti to give away a dress to one of her followers.  I went on the website, and I fell in love with most of the dresses.  I love that the dresses come in all sizes, including my size "beautiful and curvy."  You can order a size (0 to 26W) or you can send your measurements to have the dress made customized for you.  The sleeve length, hemline and  neck line can be customized as well.   I have been talking about this website since C. Jane posted it on her page.  Pierre, my mother-in-law, the kids, and random strangers have heard me raving about this site.

My favorite dress is the Her Fifties Sundress followed closely by the Rosette Trim Dress and the Spanish Hacienda Sundress.  I really wanted to win one of these dresses since a new dress was not in my budget for any time in the foreseeable future.

Thank you C. Jane and eShakti.


1 comment:

  1. Doughnuts or dresses, I can never tell what I like better.

    You lucky girl, you get to have both!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete