Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pierogi


I had pierogi with dinner tonight.  I have noticed them in the freezer section of the grocery store on many occasions.  Last week, I felt compelled to pick up a bag of them.  For those who don't know, a pierogi is a yummy, ravioli-like, dumpling stuffed with potato.  I haven't had one of these since I was much younger.  My childhood best friend's mom used to make them when I would come over for dinner.  She always made such good things, and things she knew I liked, when I ate over at their house.  My favorites were her tomato salad, creamed spinach, and pierogi.

Sometimes eating a food can bring you back to a certain time or place.  Eating pierogi tonight, I was brought back to Fran's house in Bayside, sitting at the dining room table, getting pested by her big brother, and listening to Petey, her bird, tweeting away.

Other foods can cast the same spell over me.  I can't look at a cannoli without remembering my grandpa or smell espresso brewing without thinking of the little demitasse cups, especially my favorite pink one, grandma would bring out for special occasions.  Those cups made me feel like I was at a grown up tea party as I sipped my sugar laden espresso.

When my kids are grown and out of the house, I wonder if they will think of me when they eat pecan pie or when they smell candied sweet potatoes baking.  What food is leaving an indelible imprint on their hearts?

What foods bring you back to a certain time in your past?  Please comment below.  I would love to hear your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment