Tuesday, March 27, 2012
Took the girls for their pre-op appointment this morning. Katie is supposed to have her tonsils removed on Monday. Josie was going at the same time to get her tubes removed and possibly get a new set. Katie passed the appointment with flying colors. Josie, not so much. I knew Josie was not going to be cleared for surgery and if she was I was going to refuse. The runny nose started two days ago, closely followed by the little wet cough. With her asthma, I was not going to chance this just to have tubes removed. Tubes that are working very well. Yes, I know, they are the permanent type of tube that can only stay in for two years, but a few extra months until we are out of cold and flu season shouldn't make too much of a difference. I hope.
Josie had the tubes put in when she was only 9 months old. Her ear infections were terrible, with two ruptured ear drums each time. She was cleared for surgery, not only by her pediatrician, but by her pulmonologist as well. Plus, she was put on oral steroids for a few days beforehand. Wouldn't you know it. As soon as we arrived home from the hospital, and took her out of her car seat, she was burning up with a fever of 103. Off to the doctor's office, and after an x-ray, we left with a prescription for antibiotics and a diagnosis of Pneumonia.
Now to reschedule Josie's surgery for when school is out. Hopefully, there will be less of a chance she will be sick during the summer.
On a side note, the pediatrician seemed very happy with Josie otherwise. She is a very different child developmentally and he notices changes every time we see him. She was looking at a book, while pointing and naming fish and animals. She loves her sea creatures and can name them all...jellyfish, seahorse, shark. I can't wait to take her to the aquarium.